विक्शनरी:Initial site settings discussion
Please add your comments under the 'Comments' headings in each section below.
Irrespective of what name we choose for the project, the url for the Konkani Wiktionary will be gom.wiktionary.org . The proposals for the project name are:
- विक्शनरी / Wikxonori
- विकिशब्दकोश / Wikixobdkôx
- In proposal 2, the font for the tagline is changed so that 'mukt' is written differently.
- In proposal 3, the font for the text below is changed
- In proposal 4, only three tiles are retained with the first character of the word 'Wiktionary' in three scripts included in the Konkani Wiktionary: Devanagari, Latin and Kannada. The project name and tagline are also in the three scripts.
- In proposal 5, only five tiles are retained with the first character of the word 'Wiktionary' in the five scripts in which Konkani is written: Devanagari, Latin, Kannada, Malayalam and Perso-Arabic.
- In proposal 6, the original characters in four of the tiles are replaced the character for 'wi' in the Devanagari, Kannada, Malayalam and Perso-Arabic scripts. The project name is in all three scripts, while the tagline is in Devanagari only.
- Incase you prefer proposal 4, please also indicate which font for the Devanagari text you prefer out of proposals 1, 2 and 3.
Following are some additional features that we use in the Konkani Wikipedia. We have to decide whether to implement the same in the Wiktionary as well.
Structured Discussions (Flow)[बदल]
What system should we use for talk pages?
Option 1: Flow page: You can test it here: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Structured_Discussions/Sandbox
Option 2: Wikitext page with reply button feature: You can test it here: https://en.wikipedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/Talk:Cats
- Structured Discussions (formerly known as Flow) is a discussion system that we use instead of normal wikitext talk paged on the Konkani Wikipedia.
- Example of a Flow page: w:gom:Wikipedia:Tinto
- Example of a wikitext discussion page: Wiktionary:Tinto
- The advantage of Flow pages is that it is very user friendly, and no knowledge of wiki-markup syntax is required.
- Another advantage of Flow pages is that there is no need of archiving posts.
- The disadvantage of Flow pages is that search has not yet been implemented for search pages.
- Replying to a conversation on wikitext pages required knowledge of wiki syntax to format comments pproperly and reply at the correct page.
- It seems that in the future, replying to a conversation on a wikitext page will be made much easier by the addition of 'Reply' button.
- Please try the 'Reply' button feature here: https://en.wikipedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/Talk:Cats
ShortURL generates a small 'share' symbol near the page title that gives a shortened URL.
For example, https://gom.wikipedia.org/s/5wu instead of https://gom.wikipedia.org/wiki/काॅनरॅड_एमिल_ब्लाॅक .
AnonymousI18N.js allows users who have not logged in to change their interface language easily. This is important for a multiscript language like Konkani where different people are comfortable reading different scripts.
Based on our off-wiki discussions, we have consensus for the following:
- Project name in the Devanagari script: विक्शनरी
- Project name in the Romi script: Wiktionary
- Project namespace: विक्शनरी
- Project talk namespace: विक्शनरी चर्चा
- Project logo: The tiles include the characters for the 'wi' sound in the five scripts in which Konkani is written: Romi (Latin, W), Devanagari (वि), Kannada (ವಿ), Malayalam (വി) and Perso-Arabic (و). The other four tiles with Japanese, Greek, Cyrillic and Chinese characters are retained from the original. The project name below is in the Romi, Kannada and Devanagari scripts (the three scripts in which the Konkani Wikipedia) is written. The tagline at the bottom is in Devanagari.
- Other extensions / scripts to be installed:
- Structured discussions (Flow): This is the standard discussion system for all talk pages on the Konkani Wikipedia, and thus, the community is comfortable with Flow.